A preview of Sunday


Sometimes a message so transforms a person's life that it has to be shared. This weekend we will be studying through the letter from Jude. If you want a preview take a look and ask yourselves, will God find us soft selling the Gospel? I have a deep conviction in my soul. Are we handling the Gospel rightly or are we "converting" people to a half Gospel. By "we" I mean the American church. Alistar Begg says it better than anyone I know. He says, "half a Gospel is no Gospel at all!" When we share the "Gospel", are we just getting them to church and changing their behavior or are we seeing their hearts transformed which is what the Gospel really does! I had a conversation with a mom in our church because she overheard me talking about teaching my son the hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy." She was fascinated that I wanted to teach my two year old a hymn. I told her that this song gives us a picture of purity....God's purity. In turn, it shows our scars from sin. I don't want to simply teach him how to be a "good person", I want to teach him to be passionate for the holiness of God. I want my son's affections to grow for God. That is the essence of the Gospel. Admittedly, this idea is not new with me. My brother and co-laborer in Christ, Joe Stegall, has been teaching his daughters this song for the same reason. I just stole it from him. There is truly nothing new under the sun. All the more reason to tap into the timeless truths often depicted in theologically rich hymns and let them nourish the soul! See ya sunday!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "A preview of Sunday"

  1. Debbie says:
    April 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM

    The kids were singing "Holy, Holy, Holy" the last time I was in the nursery. Sometime you should let them sing it in front of the church. It would absolutely bless everyone. I know it blessed me that morning.

    After reading here today I can't wait for Sunday!