A Sorrow leading unto Joy

It has been a difficult week for my beloved church. We had to see a dear friend in ministry resign because of moral failure. It has saddened us greatly. For those who don't know our history at Providence, we are a new church that started after a painful seperation from a mother church which for all intensive purposes would not be led. Some now are asking the question "WHY?" Why did this happen? Did we listen to God's voice? Should be have left? Is God in this? There is anger and there is sadness, but I believe we must look for joy in the sorrow!

These questions are not easily answered, but I will try to bring some hope in light of this great tragedy. First, the Bible is clear that all men are hopelessly corrupted by sin. Save the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit, man is capable of the grossest embodiment of sin. This should not lead us to think that a saved mean or woman is not capable of sin. That would be foolish. It simply means that men are capable of "Hitler" sized sin. This should bring us great pause and instill in us a deep sense of humility.

Second, we should not measure the corpus of a man's life through the siv of his sin. Again, that would be foolish. We are all found in rebellion at times and should remember that all sin is measured equal in the eyes of God. So to say that all the work of any man or woman is wrong because they are found in sin is unbiblical and arrogant. God is grieved, but never taken off guard.

Third, we should not question the outcome of a man's leadership because of his failure. God is capable and will use the failures of man to unfold his perfect plan. How could Jesus have chosen Judas and not known he would betray Him. Was God mocked or surprised? Surely not! No, God was working sovereignly the entire time and He will continue to do so in our time. To deny this is to believe that God is not intimately and sovereignly involved in the lives of men!

I don't know about you, but I am ever more amazed by the mysterious strong hand of my God each and every day.

To God be the glory!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

2 Response to "A Sorrow leading unto Joy"

  1. Kelley says:
    December 18, 2008 at 4:42 PM

    Tom, I feel sure that you're not surprised that I'm the first to leave a comment; I can't resist.

    As someone who was a member of that "mother church" for 20+ years and felt great sorrow in the parting, I know WITHOUT A DOUBT that that parting was God led. Not man led.

    I heard God's voice. And then I heard it again as He constantly CONFIRMED what He said.

    I wonder...do we believe that God planted a church in Nolensville? I do. I believe that he MIGHTILY used a man in my life and the lives of many others, as well as in the heritage of what is Providence Baptist Fellowship. I believe with all that I am that that man is no less or no more human than you and/or I. I believe that he loves God and God loves him. (And so do I). I not only believe this but I believe that God not only will use his failures and I will even be bold enough to say that God will use him again someday.

    Tom, I do see joy in the sorrow. I pray that others will also.

  2. Anonymous Says:
    December 18, 2008 at 6:36 PM

    I can in no way add to Kelley's comment that would make it any more my own words. I believe with all of my heart that none of us are at PBF by mistake and the one who led us there is just as much a man of God as ever. We at PBF must move forward with the same vision that we started with and quietly listen to God for his direction.